Wednesday, November 5, 2014

John Denmat Interview

Secret Awesome artist feature with John Denmat! John currently works as a tattoo artist at Bambu Tattoo Art Studio in Providence, RI. We talk tattoos, rad drawings and podcasts.

Check his work out here: http://jdenmat.tumblr.com/



Do you remember what got the ball rolling for you creatively?
-Things really took a turn for me after college. I graduated from art school and basically went right into working the lowest paying jobs of all time (seafood restaurant, pizza place, grocery store). I barely did any drawing it was such a bummer! After a few years of that I realized I couldn't take it anymore and promptly quit my job, moved to Falmouth and met up with Zak and the rest of the SA crew and it really jump started my creativity in a huge way. Been drawing like a maniac ever since!




What sorts of things inspire/inform your work?

-So much! The more I open myself up to inspiration the more I can learn. Science, astronomy, science fiction and fantasy play a huge part in what I like to draw but I am also really inspired by the work ethic in others. My friends make so much amazing work that is way different from my own, and that really makes me want to get drawing.



You work as a tattoo artist, has your drawing style always lent itself to that, or have you had to create a style in tattooing that works for you?

-Tattooing is so unlike drawing in just about every single way. A lot of the stuff I draw tends to be highly detailed and geometric, and that's really no good for tattoos (Well, maybe not for beginners like myself. There are some amazing tattoo artists that specialize in micro detail and geometry). Learning to draw simplistically is challenging but it's fun because I feel like I am expanding my style.



You've also designed skateboards, album covers, and fabric for hats, is that a different mental process? Do you hope to do more things like it?

-It's so much fun to do that stuff! It is honestly something I wish I could go back in time and show to my younger self. I'm most proud of my collaborative projects and especially the other artists I work with, because they do all the hard work and actually make the thing! It's so cool to see an idea become reality like that.


Do you make art for the fame or for the immeasurable wealth?

-The thought of being either famous or wealthy literally makes me want to puke. I make art because if I didn't, my head would explode.




Your favorite music to draw to?

-I actually listen to a lot of comedy and science podcasts while drawing. The Best Show on WFMU, Star Talk Radio, Stop Podcasting Yourself, Stuff You Should Know and Superego are my go to podcasts. I also listen to a lot of rap music (what a horribly sentence that makes me sound like an old loser). I've been playing Freddie Gibbs and Run the Jewels on repeat lately.



What would your dream project be?
-Opening a permanent Secret Awesome gallery and studio space. In outer space. Tattoo studio adjacent. Reserved parking for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment